How a 77 12 months outdated turned the primary Filipino to journey the world?

On the age of 77, Odette Aquitania Ricasa turned the primary Filipino to have the ability to journey to all 195 international locations on the planet, 193 of that are acknowledged by the United Nations, whereas the opposite 2 are non-members: the Holy sea and the State of Palestine.

Earlier than the pandemic began in 2020, she was solely 5 international locations in need of attaining her objective. These international locations are Sudan, Chad, the Central African Republic, Libya, and Iraq.

Becoming the First Filipino to Travel the World at Age 77
Ms. Ricasa when she arrived in Iraq. Picture from her Fb account.

Lastly, on the twenty fifth of August 2022, after being held for 2 years due to the pandemic, Ms. Ricasa achieved the objective of many vacationers – to journey to each nation on the planet! She arrived in Kurdistan, Iraq, on Thursday, making it the final nation on her listing.

Total, she has been to 301 international locations and territories, together with islands! Even these islands that aren’t recognized by many, together with Robinson Crusoe islands, Lakshadweep islands, Andaman Nicobar islands, and extra!

Different articles you’ll be able to learn:

How It All Began

Ms. Ricasa is predicated in Los Angeles, California and she or he began the journey of touring the world within the 12 months 1980. She shared that some international locations, together with Russia, had very strict guidelines concerning tourism throughout these instances. Nevertheless, that didn’t cease her from exploring increasingly international locations.

Memorable Journey Experiences

Ms. Ricasa has two passports – the Philippines and the US. She primarily makes use of her US Passport, however she talked about that in some instances, utilizing her Philippines passport is good.

One in all these instances goes to Africa. Each US and Philippines passport holders want a visa so as to journey to this continent, however utilizing her US passport requires extra paperwork than utilizing her Philippine passport.

When requested what have been a few of her unforgettable experiences in her greater than 40 years of touring, she mentioned there have been quite a bit, however her go to to Sierra Leone and the Democratic Republic of Congo, each African international locations, are unforgettable. The mentioned international locations are usually not well-liked locations for vacationers, and through her go to, she was alone. However because the saying goes, ‘You could do the factor which you suppose you can’t do.’ And he or she did; she conquered Africa and the remainder of the world!

She additionally talked about that after they arrived in Libya simply this 12 months, they felt like they have been VIPs as there was quite a lot of safety escorting them. However this type of distinctive expertise is what motivates her to journey extra.

Becoming the First Filipino to Travel the World at Age 77

In her 4 a long time of touring, 80% of these is her touring alone, whereas the remaining 20% is a gaggle tour (which she joined when she was only a newbie within the journey world)—speaking about bravery, ardour, and enthusiasm!

Extra Achievements

Ms. Ricasa is certainly journey knowledgeable as she can be a member of the Vacationers’ Century Membership, A membership that solely permits these individuals who have been to 100 or extra international locations!

Becoming the First Filipino to Travel the World at Age 77
Philippine International Explorers Meet Up in Kaiserslautern, Germany.

Furthermore, she’s additionally an energetic member of the Philippine International Explorers journey neighborhood, and she or he heads the US West Coast chapter, doing this whereas touring.

Other than being a traveler and the primary Filipino to journey the world, she can be an writer of 6 books, an artist, a motivational speaker, and a pianist.

She talked about that having her e-book was really not her thought. It was early 2000, and she or he was in Spain writing her journey experiences in her journal – “With all of the international locations and cities I’ve been to, it’s unimaginable for me to recollect them, that’s why I write them in my journal.”, non-verbatim assertion of Ms. Ricasa.

Her good friend, who was together with her at the moment, informed her, “Why don’t you write a e-book as an alternative?” That assertion gave her the thought to put in writing a journey e-book and share her experiences on the highway. Her books are all accessible on Amazon.

Becoming the First Filipino to Travel the World at Age 77

Ms. Odette Aquitania Ricasa’s journey expertise is likely one of the inspiration of many vacationers, not solely Filipinos, however foreigners as nicely.